Wednesday, March 26, 2014

What you find in His presence!

Have you ever had one of those days, months, or seasons where it seems like everything is falling apart? Nothing is going as planned? You kinda just want to give up?

I remember the late winter of my first year of college at Miami University. I was doing well in my classes and working full-time. My parents called my older brother and me in for a family meeting. These rarely happened, but if they did, we knew it was something big. My parents began to tell us the news that my Dad lost his job, just three months after his 30th year at the company!

Now, he was jobless.

Wow, what a shocker!

Questions were going through my mind: how are we going to survive? Will I need to quit college?

My Dad went on an interview tour across the country. He was being thoroughly looked at multiple companies in different states. He accepted a position in Safford, Arizona. Where? That was my exact question too.

My parents told me to think about coming with them once the house sold. They gave me the option of going to college somewhere out there, continue going to Miami University, or find another college. My focus in the meantime would be to watch over the house, clean the house, and take care of my older brother. My question to my parents, is that not the job of my older brother?

This was a troublesome time in my life. I had lots of questions with few answers. My attention was honestly completely on myself, what my next steps in life would be, and where I was going to live. For the first time in many years, God enabled me to do a three things in my life:

  1. STOP.  My life had been going a hundred miles an hour to fix what went wrong. This process of stopping started about one week after I found out about my Dad had lost his job. The act of stopping was much needed. God showed me through his love and care that we would completely take care of me, my family, and all the different situations in my life. My goal in this situation was to not fix, solve, or do anything in my own power, but to come to him. 
  2. COME. Jesus called me to "come" to him (Matthew 11:28-30). I was able to quit looking for answers elsewhere. I was able to go to him directly and talk. He was there to listen and hear me out. All of my frustrations and pains could be heard, understood, and released. I came close to God, and God came close to me (James 4:8).
  3. REST. I knew that God had it all taken care of in advanced. I could actually rest, breathe, and have peace in the situation. Just as with Moses, the Lord tells us that he will personally go with us and give you rest - everything will be fine (Exodus 33:14). 


By God doing these three things in me, he showed me where he wanted me to go to school for the remainder of college, that my family would be taken care of, show me what I was to do with my life, and that in his presence is the only place I would find the fullness of joy (Psalm 16:11). These troubles and questions became an opportunity for joy to occur (James 1:2-4). This weird act which would not have been my choice, was one of the most impactful things that positively changed my life. I had true joy in life knowing that I was following his will for my life and living life to the fullest (John 10:10).

-Mark



No comments:

Post a Comment